Auguries



Night:
Transmission trembles
Little brother’s voice crackles
Over Oceans
His wife
Hemoglobin's heaving
The day is critical

Two succulents
The hardiest of plants
Nestled in a vase
On my dresser

Left looks limp
I make it lean
Against the upright
Place them
Under my bedside lamp
In the light of which
I read and read and read
Gets tiring
But the bookmark doesn’t budge


Morning:
Still slumping
I break a bamboo skewer
Plant it in the vase
Tied to the tremulous one
With a black thread


Evening:
Away from the skewer
Broken at a right angle
Lays listless

I gently pluck it out
Wipe off the soil
From its roots
Lay it on a paper towel
Sluiced by my eyes



Linking to MondayMusings



Comments

  1. What stood out in this piece was your choice of words, very purposeful and totally original!
    "Hemoglobin's heaving"
    "Two succulents"
    and my favorite - "sluiced by my eyes"
    A while ago, I had written a piece on grieving. One of my lines went, "...that maelstrom of feelings that I had been experiencing, finds my eyes to be an apt conduit to erupt out of." I wish I had used "sluiced" and been as succinct!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ram, I wanted to write an essay about this but had no time so had to rely on few words.

      Delete
  2. This is such a sad story.
    "I read and read and read
    Gets tiring
    But the bookmark doesn’t budge"
    I liked these lines that hint at the constant fear and restlessness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, There was a time when I could write fun stuff but life has plucked that out:(

      Delete
  3. "the bookmark doesn't budge." I love how this simple line indicates so much pain. Well done, Sara!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hema, your inmate story is a gem!

      Delete
  4. So touchy! Almost got me moist eyed!
    - Anagha From Team Mocktailmommies
    https://mocktailmommies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Anagha!

      Delete

Post a Comment